That’s the main reason why the Coalition for Better Education (CBE) focuses on public schools for its education development advocacies, because they “believe in the power in numbers” – according to CBE National President and One Meralco Foundation President Mr. Jeffrey O. Tarayao, together with Ms. Marilou C. Flores, during CBE Blogger’s Forum last June 20,2015.
Let’s Get to Know CBE
The Coalition for Better Education is a national organization based in Cebu, which focuses on education development in the Philippines. Founded in 2001, they will be celebrating their 14th year Foundation Day on August 8th, with the theme: “Imagine, Innovate, Inspire”.
In its mission to create empowered learning communities, they conduct training and development programs as follows:
Degree and Certificate Programs:
- Master of Arts in Instructional Design & Technology
- NCII Certification: Housekeeping, Bartending, Commercial Cooking, Bread and Pastry, Front Office Service, and Food & Beverage Service
Short-term Enhancement Programs:
- ICT Integration with PBL Approaches
- Education Leadership in the 21st Century
- ICT Applications for 21st Century Learning
- Authentic Assessment
- Play for K to 3
- Shared Governance – iNCUBE, Global Filipino Schools
- Research, Training, and Development – Center for Teacher Excellence, Global Filipino Teachers Program, Monitoring Evaluation
- Advocacy – Support for K to 12, Education for All, 10-Point Philippine Education Agenda
- Institutional Development
One of the highlights of the forum was presenting their newest project with Meralco’s Energy Education Program, the Energy Flash Cards, which will be used by public schools across the country. These are Project-Based Learning (PBL) Do-Cards activities meant to be used in times of disaster.
With the aim of educating people on energy, 37 public school teachers made 350 different energy flashcards in 5 days. Though CBE is not asking DepEd to implement these as school requirements, Mr. Tarayao said that they will push for its usage.
The Energy Flashcards will be launched this August and be distributed to some public schools. Also, these will be offered online and be made available for download at www.cbephils.net.
CBE partners with big organizations and companies in realizing its mission to help our teachers. These include Aboitiz Foundation, RAFI, DepEd, Microsoft Partners in Learning, PBSP, VECO, One Meralco Foundation, RP Energy, Globe, Unionbank, BCPD, City Savings, and JP Morgan Chase & Co.
CBE is a membership organizition (Php300/year) which is open for all and needs more members from the media sector. For details, please contact: